Thursday 19 January 2012

Lily's Boots

My niece looooves Doc Martens. 
A month or so before her 14th birthday she told everyone about an amazing pair of Union Jack Doc Martens she had seen online. Knowing she could only have one pair for her birthday she selected her other all time favourite: a shiny cherry red pair that were available in a local store. Listening to her drool about the boots she adored online I decided to give her the next best thing: an edible pair just the same!

I selected a dense marble cake recipe I found online (unfortunately I cannot find the exact recipe I used) and tried to make marshmallow fondant like I had for my birthday cake. I left the fondant to cool and it got stickier and stickier. After two frustrating attempts to make it work it was tossed in the bin and I had to resort to supermarket bought fondant.

The dream Doc Martens are a navy blue colour with Union Jacks on the toes. The navy colour was difficult to attain and I managed a grey-navy using blue and black food dye. 

I borrowed a pair of very old Doc's from my niece claiming they were for a (very vague) 'art project' and used these for my scale.

The boots were somewhat uneven and a little over-chunky, but they tasted delicious and with the "AirFlex" tags and yellow stitching could be made out for Doc Martens.




As a perfectionist I was hoping for much more, but couldn't have been more pleased when my niece said "This is the coolest present EVER!!".

No comments:

Post a Comment