Sunday 22 January 2012

If I began conversations with "I love to bake cakes for all the people in my life!", do you think I would have more friends?

I've noticed the popularity of culinary photography on pages like facebook.
Many of my 'friends' have albums named "Culinary Adventures", "Domestic Life", or just "Food I Cooked". Today, as I baked and decorated birthday cupcakes for my best friend and sister's birthdays this week I wondered if this is because my friends have reached an age where cooking is exciting and interesting. Does this happen in every generation? When teens enter their twenties does the 'cooking' gene switch on? Or are we products of the Masterchef generation?

My mother (and many of my relatives in her generation) dislikes cooking. She has never found pleasure in it and does the bare minimum. Does she well represent the baby boomers? And if so, is this a product of the strong feminism that developed during her young life? Perhaps her removal from the kitchen is assert her difference from the housewife her mother was.
If this is the case, am I following the trend? My mother insisted she did not belong in the kitchen, so is it now my task in life to show that yes, cooking is enjoyable and women are great at it? And will my children dislike cooking, shows like Masterchef and Hell's Kitchen go out of fashion and then return as the next generation come into the world?

Or my family may be the exception.
Age 20: /cooking gene on?

No comments:

Post a Comment