Monday 2 July 2012

Happy Birthday Superstar!

My gorgeous niece turned 15 this weekend and to celebrate we threw a big party in our garden (I think our house has become The Party Garden - I said 'palace' but we're much more rugged than that). My gift to her was, as usual, a birthday cake.
Last year I made her a pair of Doc Martens and this year wanted to make something a little more abstract that would hopefully look better than last years haphazard work. She told me her favourite colours were dark purple and green and I decided to work with the purple.

This cake gave me reason to finally visit A Tiny Bit Marvellous, a local cake decorating shop and I am super thankful for all their help and encouragement.
The party was filled with friends and family, food and fun! The cake was a hit and (after a previous night of mayhem leaving me ready to give up cake decorating for good) I was very pleased with my (slightly off centre) creation. (Please excuse my terrible photography).

The cakes I baked were chocolate (top layer) with a chocolate buttercream and marble (bottom layer) with vanilla buttercream. I filled the centre of each cake with buttercream and a layer of raspberry jam for the marble cake.


Happy Caking!


No comments:

Post a Comment