Friday 24 February 2012

The View

I flicked over channels and came across a show talking about a beautiful home. They went on to show viewers the 'sky deck' which allowed visitors to admire the 'stunning view'. The house was on a hill, the view was of thousands of homes underneath them.
I was quite stunned by this smoggy view of other peoples washing and rooftops. Sure it was vast, but 'stunning'? Really?
It doesn't help that I've grown up with hippy parents, but for me stunning views means untouched forests, coastline, endless ocean, natural anomalies..

I find this issue in many new houses being built today. They choose the top of a hill for the view. But the top of the hill just shows everything that is underneath it - more and more houses.
Perhaps 'view' actually means 'vast area of visibility' and all they need to get rid of is the 'stunning'. 'With A view', perhaps. Or 'with an expansive view'. This 'stunning' business is what the problem is.

Maybe I'm just bias. When I look at my window I see the trees that completely surround my yard, held together by a tall, old wooden fence. When I look beyond the trees that block out my neighbours I see the hills in the distance that have yet to be covered with houses. I suppose I'm just lucky that I have family members who wanted to make my view look like this. But others are perfectly capable of doing the same (at least to some extent)..

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't want to look at their neighbours underwear?

1 comment:

  1. "Am I the only person in the world who doesn't want to look at their neighbours underwear?"

    Throughout the course of my life I have found that my desire to see various neighbors in their underwear is entirely dependent on the sex and "fitness" (if you get my meaning) of the particular neighbor in question...

    However, more seriously, I think the desire for a 'view' can be understood by several socioeconomic factors. For example; a house that is tall or high up usually costs more and so monetary wealth can be established. The height can also give one the impression of 'surveying' those 'below' you. The air is likely fresher high-up and the sounds of the city muted.

    But, most importantly in this case, I think People enjoy watching, and talking about, other people. It seems a near-universal human trait and I think you are lucky to have avoided (at least somewhat) this propensity.

    I agree that I personally would much rather look at the 4 billion year old products of the genetic and evolutionary legacy of Earth than the sprawling, hap-hazard mess of concrete, smog and pointless impatience that humans seem inclined to create as their surroundings.

    We must remember however that we are often different from other people because we each come from a certain socioeconomic class (and often a different culture).

    If from a very poor socioeconomic class we may have acquired (understandably) the drive to prove to the world that we have wealth (and therefor, in most societies, worth).

    If from a higher socioeconomic class we may have the (less understandable) desire to re-enforce our power and (self-envisioned) supremacy over our peers.

    Just some thoughts...

    ReplyDelete